Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Mysterious Malady

Now I'm not a doctor(yet), but I do know a few things about diagnosing certain ailments.  I love to watch Mystery Diagnosis because I can usually guess what the patient has before the big reveal.  Sometimes it's nothing out of the ordinary, but some other illness masks it, other times it's just really rare, and every now and then it's just doctor incompetence that causes an illness to go unnoticed. 
  
    For example, this one baby had been born with open hands rather than curled fists.  It had hip dysplasia, concave sternum, and it doctors were all "Hmm, that's odd.  Oh well, I have to go be a sexy doctor that makes out with the nurses."  When the kid got older, he also had abnormally long fingers, was much taller than other children, and had a stretched face(you know, like John "Why the Long Face" Kerry).  I could've told them right then that the kid had Marfan Syndrome, but it still took a couple of years after that to come up with a diagnosis.
 
     I hope to be an excellent nurse and catch on to the minor symptoms that could belong to either a harmless illness or even the rarest of conditions.  But I'm just paranoid that one of my patients would end up having the rare illness and so I'm prepared.  O_o

No comments:

Post a Comment