Monday, May 2, 2011

The End is Nigh

Forgive the lack of posts, everyone (literally, just one person so far).  I've been very busy with medical-related stuff.  In a couple of weeks I'll have a good deal of time spare to write more things.  That, and I'll hopefully have good material.  I just don't see the point in typing useless crap every day just so I can stay current.  Might as well make my posts worth it, ya know?  I have to punch out in a little bit, but I'll leave you with a handy book review.

    The book Wake, by Lisa McMann, has a pretty decent story.  It's about a poor girl who discovers that she can enter the dreams of others, regardless of whether she'd like to.  I'm not going to get all high and mighty and start pointing out the tiniest flaws.  I enjoy books quite a lot, but I'm not really a critic, nor do I want to be.  Personally,  I thought it was...decent.  It is classified as a teen read/young adult book, and it does fit the description.  The plot is really interesting and has a lot of potential, but my grievances are directed toward the flow of the book.  McMann seems to assume that other people know exactly to whom she's referring, and thus leaves out the names of characters (not always, but it lead to some confusion).  For example, the character Janie meets a guy named Caleb.  At one point in the story she hears him come to the door in the middle of the night.  She was just thinking of him, so I'm guessing McMann doesn't need to put his name on the person coming inside.  I can't remember the exact quoting, but the general gist of it is Janie is thinking of Caleb so on and so forth blah blah.  And then a few lines after mentioning his name it has something along the lines of...His footsteps sounded on the walkway.  He knocked on the door.  Came in.  She was happy to see him.  Like I said, I'm not quoting, but you can see that it has a bit of a flow issue and it doesn't name "Him".

 So, aside from the minor flow problems and choppy dialogue--and the fact that the first book (it's a trilogy) ends right when it gets good--it's a good read.  I enjoyed it, and the book in paperback was 6 dollars, so it's a bargain as well.  Especially when you--meaning me--read it in the store over the course of a few days to avoid the risk of buying a book you don't like.

 I hope to be able to post more often and with more interesting material in a couple of weeks, but for now I'll be mostly AFK.

No comments:

Post a Comment